John here. For this batch of collard greens, I knew I was going to use them on the Heinzelmännchen burger which already has two pretty heavy meats on it, so I decided on a vegetarian version. I used honey in this batch, but if you want to swap that out for something like agave nectar, these greens will be vegan too.
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 2 Tbsp grapeseed oil
- 1 medium bunch of mustard greens, chopped
- 1 medium bunch of collard greens, chopped
- 3 Tbsp roasted garlic paste
- 12-16 oz beer (I’d recommend a light ale or lager)
- 1/8 tsp chili sea salt
- 4 tsp white vinegar
- 2 Tbsp honey (sub. agave if you’re going vegan)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp Texas Pete
- Sea salt (to taste)
First, sauté the onions in oil over medium heat until translucent. Add your greens and the remaining ingredients and simmer (still over medium heat) for about 45 minutes to 1 hour. You want greens that have a bite to them, but not too tough, so don’t be afraid to give them a taste for tenderness closer to the end of the cooking time. Enjoy!